I have been invited, suggested, coerced and even made a profile a few times ... but I resisted before, essentially because of my current life-stage... 'I am looking for an "anti-social" networking site,' was my frequent defense to those at Globe* who can't believe that the head of broadband doesn't FB!
Segue to the last New Year holidays... Redd and I ended up doing my FB one fine day... how can I resist?!? Timely too since I was thinking about 2010 and things I wanted to change... like letting go of fears.
So, it's been more than a month - and in typical Globe fashion... here's what I think --
1. It's a GREAT way to reconnect with friends and family.
2. Everyday, there's a surprise coming - and I'm a sucker for these things, so I'm hooked! The best ones so far are:
- Lee! Practically every day in late grade school and high school - we walked to and from school. We lost touch after high school and reconnecting with her almost made me shout at my laptop in sheer joy!!
- Finding relatives I didn't know I had... I've always heard (or more aptly, overheard) about some relatives in Toril but never knew for sure if I really had... and true enough, they found me thru FB!
- Editha and Joey! Totally clueless that a thing was going on between them when I was working in URC** and learning that they're now married with a kid etc... Makes me wanna believe in love again (makes lang ha... not yet confeeermed if I truly do!)
3. Additional bonding time with kids - as they teach mommy (for once!) the many nooks and crannies of the FB world... getting so excited about me having a restaurant and other fun, fun stuff to do...
4. 6 degrees of relationships... it's much more shorter and can't believe how the world is so, so small!
5. Pictures! Pictures!
6. Status... and the thoughts and stories behind the each status... being "in the know"
7. Openness and the vulnerability that comes with it... it's humbling and liberating... I've got a whole stack of poems, essays, articles made thru the years that no one has ever read... So friends, bear with me as I might release some of those.
1. Conversations in an altered reality - almost in suspension - as you wait for the next update, if an update or reply will ever come... I still have to get used to this.
2. Lurking... Frankly, I am still uncomfortable about this. Tried privacy options but decided that I'm either in or out of FB... so now it's all open and if people lurk, go ahead! Just drop a note or two once in awhile, ok?!?
3. Invitations galore! I feel like a social butterfly getting spammed sometimes... and the pressure mounts! How can i relax?!? LOL! I'm still at the accept/invite friends and update stage... the games and all the rest will have to wait as I get savvier on this (my kids are teaching me.... so relax my friends, it'll soon come!).
Net, net... it's been a good one month and a liberating way to start the year right!
* Globe: Globe Telecom, Inc - the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines where I worked for 10 years.
** URC: Universal Robina Corporation - a Philippine consumer goods company where I had my first job.
About this blog: Originally written as a note on Facebook last Feb, 2010 - one month after I joined FB. It's my first quick reflection on social media.