Dear Karanjoy (Baboy!)*,
You may probably not believe it or even imagine yourself ever-reaching this - but you are now 42 years old! Before you freak out and write another angst-ridden poem, let me assure you that all is well, life is good.
1. You are named Emmanuel, which means God is with us. You were supposed to be named something else (my memory escapes me now) but I changed it to Emmanuel after experiencing long labor due to uterine dysfunction.
2. Your new born screen test showed that you're G6PD** deficient (prone to anemia). That's why mothballs, etc are a no-no in our house as these are triggers.
3. Your nickname is Maui since your dad spent sometime growing up in Hawaii.
4. You were not breastfed as I had vascular allergy right after your birth. I had to take antibiotics and I couldn't even hold you in the first few weeks.
1. Your nickname is Ally because I liked the show Ally McBeal. It was a legal dramedy** series staring Calista Flockhart.
2. Alyssa means JOY in Hebrew (if my memory serves me right).
3. Alyssa Santamarina Santos was such a tongue twister so your first name became Alyssandra.
4. You're born on the 24th because I had to launch Share-a-Load*** first, give birth to you, then be well enough to go to the Sales Con two weeks after.
It's December once again and with it comes lots and lots of reunions, office parties, other get togethers, and social functions that will surely challenge any woman. Since I'm a solo mom, I get to strut my stuff informs of my kids (they don't have a choice) -- and ask the age-old question, "How do I look?" Over the years, I've learned to interpret their various verdicts about my fashion (non)sense. Here's a sampling of what normally goes on:
Dearest Mader -
I thank you for your unconditional love and support – from the time I was born to my most trying times when I stumbled, I knew you were there for me. And because of that, I became confident of myself – strengths and weaknesses combined. I learned to accept myself in a way no Philosophy class can ever teach nor a million sessions with a top counselor can ever resolve. I learned to try new things, be independent and reach for goals. I am continuously growing my wings.