It's December once again and with it comes lots and lots of reunions, office parties, other get togethers, and social functions that will surely challenge any woman. Since I'm a solo mom, I get to strut my stuff informs of my kids (they don't have a choice) -- and ask the age-old question, "How do I look?" Over the years, I've learned to interpret their various verdicts about my fashion (non)sense. Here's a sampling of what normally goes on:
1. Eeeeew! You look like Nana (or Tita Belita or Tita Chit)!!! -- when I wear long skirts (Nana or Tita Chit), top with too much prints (Tita Belita), too long shorts (Tita Belita), too flat flats or slippers-looking flats (all three), belt over a top (Nana), too color-coordinated ensemble (Tita Chit)
2. Ngee! You look like Tanya (my niece)! -- when I wear too short shorts with a polo shirt, or whatever ensemble that looks too young and trendy
3. You're like dead -- whenever I wear foundation (which I rarely do)
4. You look fat! (Or) You're fat! (The former being a nice comment than the latter -- means I'm wearing something unflattering or I really need to lose some weight (gained thru all of the parties!)
5. Ok -- means I look my normal self (whatever that means)
6. Ok Lang -- means I'm almost there (almost like my normal self)
7. That's weird -- whenever I try to be a bit fashion forward
8. Yah! Yah! Yah! -- means they're getting exasperated and want me to decide on what to wear already
9. You're very beautiful! Can you buy me shoes?!? -- means "Stop! Don't bug me or I'll start bugging you!"
My kids are such gems but I sometimes wish I didn't bring them up to be so blatantly honest.... So I have to say, I really must have great confidence to even get out of my room every time! HAHA!
About this Post: Originally written December 2, 2012 as a note on Facebook.
Leave a Reply.